Breakthrough Learning in a Digital Age Forum
Forty years after the “War on Poverty” and twenty-five years after “A Nation at Risk,” the Breakthrough Learning in a Digital Age Forum was convened to advance a new paradigm for learning by harnessing the largely untapped potential of digital media. The Forum brought together 200 of the nation’s top thought leaders in science and technology, informal and formal education, entertainment media, research, philanthropy, and policy to create and act upon a breakthrough strategy for scaling-up effective models of teaching and learning for children. The forum will showcase cutting edge research, proven and promising models to challenge decision-makers in key sectors to help “refresh and reboot” American global leadership in education. The forum was hosted by Google, Inc., in cooperation with the Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop, Common Sense Media, and the MacArthur Foundation.
Featured speakers included:
- Sergey Brin, Co-Founder, Google, Inc.
- Geoff Canada, President and Chief Executive Office of the Harlem Children’s Zone
- Barbara A. Chow, Education Program Director, The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
- Linda Darling-Hammond, Charles E. Ducommun Professor of Education, Stanford University
- Reed Hastings, Chief Executive Officer, Neflix
- Mizuko Ito, Research Scientist, University of California Irvine
- Cindy Johanson, Chief Operating Officer, The George Lucas Educational Foundation
- Martha J. Kanter, Under Secretary, United States Department of Education
- Joel I. Klein, Chancellor, New York City Department of Education
- Gary E. Knell, President and CEO, Sesame Workshop
- Marissa Mayer, Vice President, Search Products & User Experience, Google, Inc.
- Katie Salen, Executive Director, Institute of Play
Read some of the original commentaries that were written for the Breakthrough Learning in a Digital Age blog here.
- Reflections From a Global Kids Youth Leader at the Breakthrough Learning Summit by Global Kids
- Using Alternative Assessment Models to Empower Youth-directed Learning by Barry Joseph
- The Teacher is the Key by Esther Wojcicki
- Breakthrough Learning from the Outside In: Four Policies to Accelerate Innovation in the Classroom by Victor V. Vuchic
- The Promise of Games in the Public Interest by Suzanne Seggerman
- Technology and Family Literacy by Emily Kirkpatrick and Sharon Darling
- Digital Connectors Will Build Today’s Communities and Tomorrow’s Leaders by David L. Cohen
- The Outer Spaces of Learning by Colleen Macklin
- +1 Learner: How personal learning networks can transform individual teacher practice by Lucy Gray
- Write a Story On a Phone? Are you Kidding? by Ben Bederson
- Taking Down the Digital Divide in Schools by John Merrow
- Connecting: Rigor and Relevance by Paige Kuni Johnson
- Education 1.0 and the Desire to Upgrade by Scott Traylor
- Literacy 2.0: The Potential and the Pitfalls by Lisa Guernsey
- The Purple Potty Theory of Passion by James Paul Gee
- Sesame Street at 40: A Revolution in Early Learning Embraces the Digital Age by Gary E. Knell
View some of the sessions and interviews with speakers in this playlist: